The car accident lawyers at McKiggan Hebert help clients who have been injured in car accidents throughout Nova Scotia. So we get many calls from clients who have been in a car crash wondering what they should do after they have been in an accident to protect their legal rights.
If you have been in a car or truck collision and the other driver was at fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, the damages to your car, and other out-of-pocket expenses, such as lost wages.
What should I do?
If you are in a car or truck collision there are a few things you should do right away:
- Write down the name, address, telephone number, and license plate number for all drivers involved in an accident;
- Get the name, address, and telephone number of any witnesses;
- If you have a camera or video phone, take pictures/video of the accident scene and take pictures of any injuries you suffer as a result of the accident;
- File a report with the police;
- You should notify your insurance company immediately. Failure to do so may mean that you are not entitled to receive benefits under your insurance policy if you have to make a claim.
What does insurance pay for?
Changes to Nova Scotia’s Insurance Act (the law that governs motor vehicle insurance) significantly limit the rights of innocent motor vehicle accident victims. The law places restrictions on the amount and type of compensation that innocent victims are entitled to receive. For more information about Nova Scotia’s Automobile Insurance Act, and how it effects the rights of innocent victims, click HERE to read a paper presented by John McKiggan to the Canadian Bar Association’s annual Continuing Legal Education conference. For information about the benefits you are entitled to receive from your own Automobile Insurance Company, click HERE.
“Can I file a claim for compensation?”
Get the facts about car and truck crash claims! Click here to receive a free copy of Crash Course – The Consumer’s Guide to Car Accident Claims in Nova Scotia(Why Most Nova Scotia Car Accident Victims Don’t Receive Fair Compensation) or (877) 423-2050 24 hours a day or call our office directly at 1-877-423-2050.
“How do I find a lawyer?”
Here is some helpful information about How to Find the Best Trial Lawyer for Your Case.