Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Halifax Fighting For Compensation For Victims
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal in Canada. Unfortunately, many people choose to drive while intoxicated anyways. These drunk drivers are responsible for thousands of fatalities and injuries every year in Canada.
If you were involved in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries. However, obtaining this compensation can be a complicated and challenging process, which is why you should turn to the team of drunk driving lawyers at McKiggan Hebert.
It’s in your best interest to contact our Personal Injury Attorneys in Halifax before you speak to the insurance adjuster about your injuries. Let us stand by your side from the beginning to the end of your case so we can protect your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve. Learn more about how we can help by calling (902) 423-2050 to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with our team.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover For My Drunk Driving Accident Injuries?
Anyone who has been injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver may be entitled to compensation. The amount of compensation that you are awarded will depend on a number of different factors, including:
- The severity of your injuries: The more severe the injuries, the higher the value of your claim.
- Future medical expenses: If you will need ongoing medical treatment in the future, this will increase the value of your claim.
- Work restrictions: If your injuries have affected your ability to work you are entitled to compensation for your lost wages. You can also recover compensation for income you will lose in the future due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering: The amount of compensation you are awarded will also depend on the level of physical and emotional pain and suffering you experienced as a result of your injuries and any residual disability you may have to deal with in the future.
- Impact of your injuries: How your injuries have impacted your daily life will also affect the amount of compensation you are awarded.
- The nature of the accident: Some drunk driving accident victims may be entitled to receive punitive damages which will increase the value of their case. These damages are only awarded when the court believes it is necessary in order to punish the defendant for their egregious conduct.
Every personal injury claim is unique, so the amount and type of compensation that is awarded will vary on a case-by-case basis. In general, drunk driving accident victims may be awarded compensation for their current and future medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
If you want to know how much your claim is worth, it’s best to speak to the drunk driving accident lawyers at McKiggan Hebert as soon as possible.
What’s the Difference Between A Civil and Criminal Drunk Driving Case?
It’s important for you to understand the difference between a civil and criminal drunk driving case. If you were in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you may file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver to recover compensation for your injuries. A personal injury lawsuit is a civil case not a criminal case. The purpose of this civil case is to determine whether or not the defendant is liable for your injuries. If the defendant is found to be at fault, or liable, the court can order them to compensate you.
The purpose of a criminal case, on the other hand, is to determine whether or not the defendant is guilty of committing a crime. If the defendant is guilty, the court can impose various penalties, including imprisonment, fines, and the loss of driving privileges. The authorities will handle the criminal case against the drunk driver.
If you have suffered injuries caused by a drunk or drug impaired driver, your focus should be on initiating a civil compensation claim with the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Book A Free Consultation With Our Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Have you been injured by a drunk driver in Halifax? If so, seek legal representation from the skilled drunk driving accident lawyers at McKiggan Hebert as soon as possible. Our lawyers have successfully recovered millions of dollars in compensation for the injured. Our track record of success proves that we know what it takes to win compensation on behalf of our clients. Let us handle every aspect of your personal injury claim and fight for the compensation you deserve. With our help, you can reach the best possible outcome in your case.
Schedule a free consultation regarding your case with McKiggan Hebert today. Call (902) 423-2050 or fill out the form on this website to get started.