Before you hire a lawyer and before you talk to the insurance company, make sure you know what your rights are & the compensation you’re entitled to. Click here to get a FREE copy of Health Scare: The Consumers Guide to Medical Malpractice Claims or call (888) 510-3577 any time day or night.
A study recently published by the Canadian Medical Association Journal stated that up to 24,000 patients in Canadian hospitals die each year and many more left injured as a result of preventable medical errors.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice happens when the treatment provided by a health care provider (such as a doctor, nurse, hospital, dentist etc.) falls below the accepted standard of care.
Health care providers are human and they are not expected to be perfect. Sometimes medical treatment is not successful but that does not necessarily mean the doctor was negligent. Negligent treatment (medical malpractice) is treatment that falls below the generally accepted standard of reasonably competent care.
Medical malpractice may involve the following:
- Failing to properly diagnose a medical condition;
- Failing to provide appropriate medical treatment;
- Failing to refer the patient to the proper medical specialist;
- Failing to perform surgery with reasonable care; or
- Failing to provide proper post-operative care.
What Should I Do?
If you believe you or your family may have been a victim of medical malpractice, call McKiggan Hebert Lawyers toll free at (888) 510-3577, click here for a free consultation or take a look at John McKiggan’s Medical Malpractice Blog.
More Important Information About Medical Malpractice Claims
- Electronic Fetal Monitoring: What is it and Why is it Important to the Safety of Your Baby?
- Compartment Syndrome Cases
- Cerebral Palsy Claims: The Link Between Medical Malpractice and CP
- What is Medical Malpractice?
- Erb’s Palsy and Brachial Plexus Claims Caused by Birth Injuries
- Informed Consent to Medical Treatment: “I Signed the Form. Does That Mean I Don’t Have a Claim?”
- Are Canadian Medical Malpractice Claims Different Than in the United States?
- The Top 5 Defences to Medical Malpractice Claims
- Birth Injuries Caused by Oxygen Deprivation: Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
- Misdiagnosis Can Lead to Medical Malpractice Claims
- “What Do I Have to Prove to Win My Medical Malpractice Case?”
- Standard of Care in Medical Malpractice Claims
- Health Scare: The Consumer’s Guide to Medical Malpractice Claims (Free Book)